Bob and I liked the idea of doing an advent calendar with Elsa this year—we figured if we didn't mark the passage of time somehow, every morning she would ask, "Is Christmas after this day?" But I wanted to do something more creative than the standard open-cardboard-flap-and-remove-candy type of calendar. (Although we are doing that kind as well!)

I did some searching online and came across the idea of an advent activity calendar, where each day is represented by a fun holiday-theme activity. I thought that would be perfect for Elsa, so on Sunday I whipped up this handmade advent calendar. Each of the little pockets conceals a slip of paper with a different holiday "event" that we can do together. Some are standard Christmas things that we would have done anyway ("Decorate Christmas tree," "Visit Santa at the mall," "Drive around and look at Christmas lights," etc.). But there are also things we might not have gotten around to, or maybe never would have thought of in the first place. Some are quick and easy, like having hot chocolate with marshmallows or reading Christmas stories. Others are more involved, such as doing Christmas crafts, decorating a gingerbread house (I'm getting a pre-made kit!), and making "edible gifts" for the birds and squirrels in our backyard.

I think the activity calendar will be perfect for two reasons. First, I know Elsa (and someday Claire) will get a kick out of it. And second, this is the perfect way for me to make sure our Christmas traditions don't slip through the cracks, which could easily happen because we're busy or we just didn't think of it in time. I'm always lost without my to-do lists, so this advent calendar is essentially my holiday "to do with Elsa" list.

Elsa was super excited to open the first little "envelope" this morning. And our first advent calendar activity was: Writing a letter to Santa and mailing it. We wrote the letter this morning—Elsa dictated it to me, with a little prompting. Here it is:
Dear Santa: My name is Elsa. I am three years old and live in Mequon, Wisconsin. I have been a very good girl this year. I take off my shoes all by myself now. I've also been a very good girl with my baby sister Claire.This year, I would like:1. Zhu Zhu hamsters (she now knows their official name)
2. A swimming puppy3. The yellow truck that makes music (this is a new one and I have no idea what she's even talking about)
Thank you. Love, Elsa.
She also drew a picture on the back of the letter, of her playing with some of the toys she requested. Then we put it in the envelope, addressed it, and dropped it in the mail together. Exciting! And I have a feeling "Santa" will be mailing her a response, straight from the North Pole, courtesy of this
USPS "North Pole" cancellation service.
I'm looking forward to lots of holiday fun with my girls, and I hope the advent activity calendar will become a Christmas tradition for us as they get older!
4 comments:
Oh my Gosh, I love it!!!! What a great idea, and what fun for the girls. Look forward to seeing you Sunday!
xo,
Lisa
I can't believe you just "whipped up" that amazing advent calendar (well, actually I CAN believe it). That is amazing Lee! What a wonderful tradition to start with the girls.
Ellen
Lee,
You are so crafty! I love that idea. I could spend weeks trying to put that together and it wouldn't look half that good. I am sure the girls will liove that for years!
Reagan
You and the girls must be having so much fun with the calendar. Claire looks so cute (and chubby) in her striped pjs. Put a picture of the gingerbread house on the blog when it gets done.
Love, Mom (Grandma B.)
Post a Comment