Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

We had a nice, low-key Thanksgiving this year. We went to Opa and Grandma Heinrich's for dinner Thursday night. Other than that, we just had a lazy long weekend—we watched basketball, caught a few Christmas specials, ate a lot, and resolutely avoided the mall.

The cousins, playing together.

Tommy's Thanksgiving appetizer.

Ready for dinner!

I did make one exception to the "no shopping" rule. I went to Toys R Us this morning when they opened at 7 a.m. because the first 50 people through the doors were guaranteed the "opportunity" to buy a Zhu Zhu hamster. I didn't want to get there super early or deal with crowds of idiots, so I was really hoping most people would be unaware of this promotion. (I only knew about it thanks to the Facebook Zhu Zhu Pet Finder page.) The gamble paid off—I got there at 6:40 and there were only about 12 people in line ahead of me. No fights broke out or anything. So Santa will be bringing Elsa a "hamster car," as she calls them (I guess she thinks they're cars since they roll around on wheels). Yay. Now about those Zhu Zhu accessories ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I'm so glad you were able to get a Zhu Zhu hampster for her. Whenever I hear that name I think of "It's a Wonderful Life" - Zhu Zhu's petals.

Dave's mom told me a fight broke out in Macy's shoe department on Friday morning (two grown women fist fighting over an Ugg boot!). Cuts and all! Glad you didn't have to knock anyone out for the hampster. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Apparently I can't spell the word hamster without putting in a p. Mom will be so proud.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Double that yea for us! I saw on the Today Show this morning with the feature reporter holding the last Zhu Zhu that Amazon had in inventory, and Cyber Monday was just starting up. Reminds me of my Cabbage Patch Kids adventure days.
It's always worth it!
XOs to the girls.

Dad