Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Well, I suppose it had to happen sometime: Elsa is now requesting very specific toys for Christmas, based on ads she's seen on TV. (As much as I try to limit her exposure to advertising, those darn things still sneak in there somehow.) Last year, all Elsa asked for was "a train." This year, it's a swimming puppy, Disney princess dolls and their castle with actual working elevator, a "glowdoodle," and robotic hamsters. Go figure.

Even more alarming is the fact that one of the items Elsa wants the most is apparently THE hot toy of Christmas 2009: these Zhu Zhu robotic hamsters. I knew from the moment we saw the ad that they were right up Elsa's alley, and I guess she's not the only one. They retail for $8 to $10 apiece, but I could only find them for $65 each online. Word on the street is that Toys R Us will have them on Black Friday—are we really already at the point where we need to wake up at 4 a.m. and get in fistfights with other parents for the sake of a Christmas toy? Wow.

So, if anybody happens to run across Zhu Zhu hamsters and/or their "hamster runs" at normal retail price, please pick one up for Elsa! We'll pay you back, plus a finder's fee! : ) And just in case you're interested in any other Christmas-buying guidance, I took the liberty of creating a "wish list" for Elsa on Target's website. You can find it at https://www.target.com/lists/12G3WIIYKZZQB. These are all items Elsa has seen and specifically requested. (Mary has already gotten Elsa the full collection of Disney princess dolls, so we're all set there.)

Please don't feel obligated to buy any of this stuff—this list is only if you want guidance. And please also keep in mind that these girls already have more toys than they know what to do with. I think the resources used to stock our playroom alone probably killed ten polar bears. So in the interest of Wisconsin landfills, please please PLEASE keep this year's gift buying to an absolute minimum. In fact, I seriously considered asking people not to buy anything for them at all, but to make a donation to a children's charity in their names instead. But of course I know that's not a lot of fun for them, or for most grandparents either. So one gift for each girl will be just fine and frankly appreciated by the person who cleans the playroom. Thank you, everybody!

No comments: