Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Elsa's New BFF

This is Howl. Howl was free from the Wisconsin State Fair's "Diving Dog" demonstration (those dogs that leap off a dock and into the water). Elsa and he have basically been attached at the hip ever since. I guess it's typical that out of the dozens of stuffed animals that we and others have purchased for her, her favorite is the tiny freebie dog wearing an Oust Air Freshener t-shirt (I've already had to wash the t-shirt twice).

So, here at Elsa's Blog, we've obtained an exclusive interview with this relatively unknown new family member, so that you might learn a little more about him.

Crack Reporter from Elsa's Blog: So Howl, first of all, tell us how you got your unusual name.

Howl: It's an interesting story, actually. As some of you may know, one of Elsa's favorite books is "Dog," by Matthew Van Fleet and Brian Stanton. For those not familiar with the work, "Dog" portrays and describes a complex variety of dogs, such as "Big dog," "Scruffy dog," "Bad dog," etc. Elsa's personal favorite in the book is "Howl dog." He cracks her up every time. We believe my name is a variation on that.

Crack Reporter: Fascinating! What do you think it is about you that Elsa loves so much?

Howl: Hard to say, but she's always talking about how I'm "a cute little puppy," so perhaps it has something to do with that.

Crack Reporter: Now that you've become so indispensable in Elsa's daily life, tell us about the activities that the two of you enjoy together.

Howl: Well, pretty much everything, to tell you the truth. We sleep together, eat together, play together, the works. I always have to be around. Elsa refuses to even go up to bed without me. And I go on nearly all of her outings and trips.

Crack Reporter: Really? Have you ever been dropped or lost while out in public?

Howl: Oh yes, definitely. The most infamous of those incidents was the Bayshore Mall Tragedy of September '08. Elsa was playing with me in her stroller, but dropped me while we were waiting in line at Boston Store. I'm told that nobody noticed I was missing until several stores later, when Elsa suddenly asked "Where's Howl?" while shopping the sale rack at Children's Place. This resulted in a lengthy and careful retracing of steps, and I was eventually found sitting next to a cash register, waiting patiently for their return.

Crack Reporter: And what was the reunion like, after you were found?

Howl: Lots of relief, for all involved. Lots of hugging and whining.

Crack Reporter: Whining?

Howl: Yes, Elsa and I have our own language, which we speak only to each other. This language mainly consists of whining and whimpering. Whenever Elsa gives me a hug or plays with me, she whines and cries and makes various whimper sounds for me. It's quite adorable, if I do say so myself.

Crack Reporter: But your name's Howl. Don't you howl?

Howl: Not so far.

Crack Reporter. Huh. Well, Howl, thanks so much for your time. You've got a very compelling story here.

Howl: And it's not over yet ... unless I get lost again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the story is that you've had to wash the Oust t-shirt twice already!

Ellen