Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Big Girl Bed

Well, Elsa switched to her big girl bed a few days ago, and the transition could not have gone more smoothly! My dad was here this weekend, so he helped me disassemble the crib enough to get it out the door of her room. Then we just moved the bed in from the guest room. She climbed right up into it when it was time for bed, and was asleep within minutes, not a peep out of her. I could hardly believe it myself! No crying whatsoever.

Of course it probably helped that she was exhausted that first night—she only napped for about 45 minutes that afternoon, and we had a busy day, with trips to the playground and to Opa's house for his birthday. So she was definitely ready for some sleep by the time she crawled into her new bed. But she's been sleeping in it ever since without a single problem (including nap times, which were my biggest concern). In fact, I actually think she sleeps better in the new bed! Check out how happy she looks in these pictures!
Starting about a week ahead of time, I carefully explained to her the process of switching beds: When it would happen, how it would happen, and why ("Because you're getting to be such a big, grown-up girl, and grown-up girls sleep in big beds."). I think she really listened to my explanation, understood it, and was excited to make the transition. And I will say, the crib was getting a little snug for our very tall girl, so that could have something to do with the ease of transition as well—maybe she likes having all the additional space. She has completely grown out of the Pack and Play (she had to lie diagonally if she wanted to stretch out in it), so I'm very glad she's now able to nap or stay overnight anyplace a standard bed is available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a big girl!! She looks so cute sitting in that big bed :) Miss you guys!

Lisa