This year was an Oktoberfest milestone for us—Claire grew out of the original little blue dirndl, which means it was officially retired to my box of "special" outgrown clothes. Elsa probably could have gotten one more year out of her green dirndl, but I found it looked a lot better on Claire than it did Elsa. So that meant it was time for a new dirndl for Elsa!
The green one was a fortuitous Etsy purchase two years ago. A lady in Texas who normally makes these dresses as custom orders just happened to have the green one already made up in Elsa's size. This year, no such luck. Fortunately (and miraculously), I was enough on top of things that we had time to order a custom-made dirndl from the same lady. We asked for another "Bavarian blue" dress as a sentimental call-back to the original little blue dress. After some back-and-forth about the right color, I think she knocked it out of the park! We love Elsa's new dress!
And look who else got his own Oktoberfest wear? Looks like I'm now the only one in the family without a traditional German costume. : ) (I'm not planning to change that any time soon.) Several years ago, Bob bought a pair of used leiderhosen on Ebay that turned out to be a bit smaller than we anticipated. : ) (And famously arrived in the mail in a "Pancakes on a Stick" box.) This year, he sprang for a new pair and they fit great.
Even baby Jack had a pair of leiderhosen handmade by his crafty mama. : )
Grandma Baldwin and Grandpa Pries were in town for the first weekend of Oktoberfest. The girls loved having them there and enjoyed dancing the Chicken Dance with Grandma!
Auf weidersehen Oktoberfest, until next year!


No comments:
Post a Comment