Saturday, December 03, 2011

Bigger Girl Bed

Well, the crib is officially disassembled, and Claire is now sleeping in a full-size "bigger-girl bed," as she calls it. It feels like the end of an era at our house. (*sniff sniff*)

But it was getting to be pretty tight quarters in that crib, especially with all the stuffed animals Claire insists on having in bed with her every night. Here's Claire getting ready to take her very last nap in her crib.

I was a little sad to see the crib go. As Claire settled in for that nap, and I realized, this is it. Between the new bed and being fully potty-trained, I think we can say that we're officially done with babyhood in this house. It's bittersweet (especially now that I'm on this side of it!)

Claire was so ridiculously excited about having her own bigger-girl bed. She knew she was getting a bed just like Elsa's, and emulating Elsa in any way is always a huge win for Claire. In fact, that first night after the bed was delivered, Claire could hardly wait to go to bed. I've never seen her so excited about night-night-time!

Elsa was excited, too. She wanted to be the first one to tuck her little sister into her new bed.

Unfortunately the novelty wore off quickly when Claire realized she actually had to sleep in this bed. Like, for real, all night long. So going to sleep turned out to be a looooong process that first night. (Although lately it's been taking her a while to go to sleep at night if she takes a nap earlier in the day, so it's possible it wasn't the bed causing the problems at all.)

But after two or three rough nights, she seemed to get the hang of it, and since then she's mostly done fine. She has gotten out of bed a few times when she wasn't supposed to, but not often. And Claire does sometimes tell me that she misses her crib. When she says that, I remind her that her crib is actually still here, in a modified form—it's been turned into a lovely headboard for her bigger-girl bed. I think she likes being reminded of that.

So I'm declaring victory over the bigger-girl bed. Sleep tight, Claire. : )

No comments: