Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bears In Love

We're still trying to scan in as many of Elsa's drawings as possible, hopefully to be assembled into some sort of gigantic photo book sooner or later. But here are a couple of pictures I wanted to share right away.


Elsa continues to completely amaze us with her artwork. These pictures are created entirely from her own imagination–she made up these bears, their clothing, everything. I asked her, "Elsa, how did you learn how to draw roses like that?" Because drawing roses with a spiral top strikes me as a pretty mature artistic convention. "I just figured it out," she said. I'm thinking she must have seen a drawing of a rose that looks like that somewhere along the line, but I have no idea where. And that bear's coat, with the buttonholes? His sash and epaulets in the wedding picture? How does she come up with this stuff?? (We spelled out the words for her.)

By the way, "Bears In Love" is a whole series of drawings. The girl bear's name is Sarah, and the boy bear's name is "Charms." I am not making this up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had to draw two bears getting married my drawing wouldn't look remotely close to anything decipherable! How does she think of these things? She has amazing vision. What a cool little artist!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me. Not the creepy old guy from Oktoberfest.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Love the drawings, very cool!


Creepy old guy from Oktoberfest

j/k-It's Lisa :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful talent to put her imagination on paper with such interesting detail! We also loved the pictures of the girls in their cute Oktoberfest dresses, fun time for them.

Dad

Anonymous said...

I want to see more drawings!! :)

Lisa