Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Village Club

The girls and I spent a day last week at the Village Club in Greendale. For those not familiar, the Village Club is the swimming pool that Bob and Tom went to when they were growing up. It's just a few blocks away from their house—in fact, they used to ride their bikes to it.

These days, Tom, Tanya, Karina, and Tommy are members of the Village Club, and they invited us to join them as their guests. (We don't live close enough for it to make sense to join ourselves.) We haven't been to the pool much at all this summer, due to the chilly weather and a certain logistical problem named Claire. So Elsa was ridiculously excited about it. The Village Club has two great toddler pools, lots of available pool toys, and there were a bunch of other little kids hanging around to play with, so Elsa was not disappointed.

Unfortunately, we had a minor scare when Elsa tripped while in the deeper of the two toddler pools. That pool is 2 feet 6 inches deep, and Elsa is currently about 3-foot-2, so it was almost up to her armpits, and she kept insisting on trying to run and jump around in the water. She also had no reservations about leaving the safety of the wall and wandering into the middle (where there's nothing to grab onto). As a result, she slipped and fell under the water, and couldn't find her footing to stand back up for a few seconds. I was feeding Claire, so Tanya ran over there and pulled her back up (the lifeguard also leaped up and was ready for action). Elsa was a bit traumatized and had to come sit by me for a bit. She kept saying, "But I didn't want to go underwater!" Even so, within about two or three minutes she was heading back to the pool, telling me, "Okay, I'm going back to play now." I was surprised and pleased that she was so brave and able to overcome it so quickly. Guess all the swimming lessons we've taken really are paying off.

I like that the girls can visit and enjoy a place that was a part of their Daddy's life in his formative years. Thank you, Tanya and Karina, for inviting us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, looks like fun!!!

Lisa