Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Bob's Birthday

Bob got to celebrate his 36th birthday with both of his beautiful daughters (although one of them—I won't say who—slept through entire thing, cake cutting and all). Elsa helped me make the birthday cake, and we continued our annual tradition of the slightly-deformed-but-still-more-or-less-tasty layer cake.

Bob received a handmade birthday card from Elsa, featuring a drawing of the entire family along with three birthday cakes, balloons, and ... a vacuum (don't ask me). She also used her newly-acquired skill of printing her name to sign it herself.

Elsa recently appropriated Bob's favorite squishy down pillow, so one of his birthday gifts was a new pillow to replace it (not quite as squishy, but hopefully sufficient). We also gave him a "coupon" for a barbecue smoker, something Bob has talked about purchasing for the last several summers, but for some reason he just will never bite the bullet and buy the thing. Since he's probably spent several thousand hours researching which particular smoker he should buy, I certainly didn't want to take it upon myself to purchase one on my own, thus the coupon.

One final fun thing from this weekend: Elsa got to see Aunt Ellen and Uncle Dave on TV! They went to the Tiger game in Detroit and had such fantastic seats right behind home plate that they were on screen every time the outfield camera was on the batter. When Bob goes to the Brewers games and Elsa and I are home watching it, Elsa always asks me, "Where's Daddy?" We have yet to see him on TV, so Elsa was delighted to see Ellen and Dave. Ellen waved, and Elsa waved back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Elsa got to see me waving, and I definitely saw her wave back. :)

Ellen

Diane said...

I missed Bob's Birthday! Poop! I usually at least send a card. Pass on my belated birthday wishes. Tell him to get the smoker. There is nothing like good barbecue! They are everywhere down here.