Sunday, May 17, 2009

Visit with Grandpa and Grandma J.

Claire met another set of grandparents last weekend, when Grandpa and Grandma J. came over on the Lake Express for a visit.

Elsa, Claire, and I picked them up at the Lake Express terminal on Friday evening. Bob was scheduled to go to the Brewers game that night with Tom, and I didn't have any problem going to pick them up myself, especially since I knew the girls and I wouldn't even have to get out of the car. However, we didn't anticipate the difficulties caused by having two car seats. With the girls in their two seats, there really is only room for two adults in my car—me plus one passenger. So how was I supposed to pick up two people? We resolved it last Friday by having Bob drop off his car at the ferry terminal before the game—Phyllis and I rode home in my car, while Dad drove Bob's (Tom was nice enough to drive Bob home from the game later). But this is clearly going to be a real pain in the future—and considering how long kids now stay in car seats, this problem isn't going away anytime soon. I guess we'll just have to get used to it.

We had a great weekend together. Dad and Phyllis played with Elsa almost non-stop, so she was in heaven. She particularly enjoyed hopping on her orange pony hop-ball with their help—and I'm sure Dad and Phyllis loved the physical workout that entailed. : )

Elsa also convinced Grandma to read one of her favorite new books to her, "Madeline and the Cats of Rome," approximately 800 times.

In between pony-hopping and reading books, Dad and Phyllis also got to know their new granddaughter. Claire was a very good baby throughout their visit and I was grateful to have a few extra pairs of arms to take turns holding her.

When it was time for Dad and Phyllis to leave on Sunday, Elsa was so sad—she begged, "No, don't leave!" We'll all be looking forward to seeing them again later this summer.

No comments: