Friday, June 08, 2007

Back to Sleep ... Yeah, Right


Well, Elsa's shown that when it comes to following doctor's orders, she might just take after her Grandma Baldwin—which, of course, means that she will ignore them completely. In the past several weeks, Elsa has made it very clear what she thinks of the medical profession's Back to Sleep recommendation by flipping over onto her stomach within minutes, literally every single time I put her down in her crib. And guess what? She's been going to sleep a whole lot better. We've stopped even trying to get her to sleep on her back—I figure I might as well save her some effort and just put her down on her stomach in the first place. It makes me feel pretty bad about all those months she spent sleeping on her back, when she obviously hated it. I'm sorry about that, baby girl! At least she taught us a lesson for the next baby ...


On the crawling front, when I put my hands against her feet, she can now crawl very well, which is quite an improvement from just a week ago, when she still hadn't mastered the arm movement necessary for that. So, she's still making progress ... it's just slow progress. We've also had quite a change at mealtimes: I've noticed a dramatic decrease in her appetite over the last week or two. She isn't sick or anything, so I think it's just a normal slowdown—and it's about time that weight gain leveled off! : )

And finally, we haven't had a repeat performance of that clear-as-a-bell "Daddy" that we heard about a week ago, but she does seem to be saying "Da" or even "Dad" when she sees Bob lately, and in a few cases we heard what sounded like "Daddy" again—it just was a bit garbled. She also seems to be consistently calling Belle "Dah" or "Daw," which confuses me, since we obviously call Belle "Belle," not "Dog." So I'm not sure how she even knows that Belle is a dog. But when she was at Opa and Grandma H.'s the other day, they reported that she called Tess and Star "Daw" as well, so maybe she does in fact know what she's talking about (literally). Hard to say ... but I guess we'll give her the benefit of the doubt and go with "dog" as her second word!

No comments: