Elsa's mommy checked in to the hospital around noon on Monday, August 21. The labor was long (24+ hours), with a few hours of pushing. But Elsa's mommy was, as expected, strong and resilient throughout. Unfortunately, Little Elsa was sunnyside up, thereby forcing a C-section. A quick picture of our little blondie was taken in the O.R. (apparently storks wear latex gloves nowadays to complete their deliveries...not to mention the eerily human hands of this particular stork):
After this picture, Elsa was whisked away to the nursery for all the normal checkups. When I went in the nursery a half-hour later, her heels were being pricked for blood-testing. An 80s big-hair power ballad was playing on the loudspeaker, which hopefully will not retard Elsa's long-term development or taste in music.
Both Elsa and her mommy are doing well and are enjoying getting to know each other. Here's a picture from today, of a just-waking-up Elsa:
And on the daddy front (which we know is why most people read this blog): Any questions regarding paternity were resolved today, when Elsa passed gas and (I swear!) giggled. She surely is her daddy's girl.
We have talked to Elsa quite a bit, only twice referring to her as Belle. I stopped home today, and Belle says she is looking forward to being a big sister and teaching Elsa to collect tennis balls.
Elsa was barely beaten into this world by Carter Robert Shaffer, her slightly older cousin, who arrived on Monday. Two sisters in labor at the same time...what fun! We can only hope that Ellen and Dave are enjoying little Carter as much as we are enjoying little Elsa.
8 comments:
Elsa is adorable! We wish we could come see her right now - hopefully sometime soon we will have the cousins meet each other. We are definitely enjoying Carter -who knew Lee and I would have the two cutest babies ever!
Hugs to Elsa. Love, Dave, Ellen, and Carter.
Wow..... she is adorable!! Little girls are so special, what fun times are ahead. We can hardly wait to meet our darling new grandaughter.
Grandpa Bob and Grandma Phyllis
Elsa Rose looks absolutely adorable -- Mommy looks tired (unconscious) but very content -- Daddy's info is much appreciated & his comments very entertaining.
My very best wishes & tons of hugs and love to all three of you. !!!
Grandma and GG (to Elsa Rose)
P.S. - and a toss of the tennis ball to Belle -(please don't tell Belle that she was an "after thought").
Elsa Rose looks absolutely adorable -- Mommy looks tired (unconscious) but very content -- Daddy's info is much appreciated & his comments very entertaining.
My very best wishes & tons of hugs and love to all three of you. !!!
Grandma and GG (to Elsa Rose)
P.S. - and a toss of the tennis ball to Belle -(please don't tell Belle that she was an "after thought").
Elsa looks so cute in the pictures. Don and I loved being able to visit at the hospital on Thursday. It was fun helping with Elsa. Hugs from Grandma B. and Grandpa P.
Hi Elsa. I'm your cousin Karina. I can't wait for you to get big enough to play with me. I just know we're going to have lots of fun! I've got so many things to teach you! Just two days ago I learned how to drink out of a big girl cup...it's really fun but kind of messy! Tell your daddy that my drink was much better than the one he let me try at Grandma and Opa's house. I think my daddy said it was called beer...and I'm glad I didn't taste any of it...it smelled funny!
Anyway, my mommy and daddy say we're going to come visit you soon, so I'll see you then! Bye-bye for now!
Love, Karina
Lee and Bob,
So glad that Elsa has finally arrived. We love seeing the blogs of the two babies. It's a great way to stay in touch with the family. Kisses to Elsa.
Mike and Maura
Congratulations!
I think Elsa is beautiful! It was so clever of you and Ellen to get pregnant together. Your Mom was beside herself during your labors! I had to chuckle!and of course reassure her! Can't wait to see you and Elsa. Good luck. Any neo questions will be happily answered by Dr. J.
Love, Mary J. (MJ)
Post a Comment