Thursday, November 08, 2012

Disney: Animal Encounters

In addition to the usual cast of Disney characters, we also saw lots and lots of animals. Especially at Animal Kingdom (obviously).

One of the most popular rides at Animal Kingdom is the mock African safari, but the lines were so minimal while we were there that we didn't even need the Fast Pass for this ride—we just got right on it.

A lot of the animals we saw are also at the Milwaukee zoo, but it really is different seeing them in such a wide-open, natural setting, with more space for them to wander a bit.

 Some impressive horns on these guys.

An elephant hanging out a watering hole.

Elsa was very interested in all of the animal skulls they had on display. This is a giraffe skull.

And I'm pretty sure this one was a hippo, believe it or not.

 Checking out some fish.

Elsa's hands are nowhere near the size of a male gorilla's. Fortunately.

Playing some drums at Animal Kingdom.

By "The Tree of Life," a huge man-made tree at the center of Animal Kingdom. I think Animal Kingdom is the only Disney theme park that I had not been to before, but I think it might be one of my favorites. It's like the world's most awesome zoo.

One final memorable animal-related moment was when we were eating lunch outside near Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom. There were signs everywhere saying not to feed the ducks, but of course I forget that even though Elsa can read a lot of things now, she doesn't always pay attention to signs or know what they say! So she was feeding these highly aggressive ducks, until one literally flew right into her face, snapped its beak and flapped its wings right onto Claire. Claire (being Claire) may now be scarred for life because of this incident—for the rest of the trip, she shrieked like a banshee whenever any duck approached us (and the ducks at Disney aren't remotely afraid to approach!) It was kind of funny. But kind of not. : )

I think that does it for the Disney wrap-ups! We had a really good time and both of the girls (but especially Elsa) were so very sad to leave.

No comments: