Sunday, April 22, 2012

First (And a Little of Second) Quarter Fun

I wanted to give an update on some of the general fun that we've had since the start of the year.

The girls and I did not have many opportunities to make a snowman this winter.  So we had to quickly make a snowman in the driveway one day.  The snowman had the classic combination of over-ripe strawberry eyes and a yellow plastic rain gauge nose.  The girls loved him so much that they hugged him, although it looks like Elsa is trying to strangle him.
Elsa took second place in a tennis tournament.  A lot of kids took second place.  But some also took fourth, so second is pretty good!
 We all (including Lee) went to a pancake breakfast at the preschool.  Claire just LOVES pancakes. 
 Elsa and Claire have been hanging out in the basement with me while I clean down there.  In the basement, Elsa drew a picture of our family:
 Everyone in the drawing is thinking of something they like.  From the left: Elsa is thinking about her family.  Claire is thinking about a Smurf and Gargamel's cat Azrael.  I am thinking about baseball (see the baseball bat and cap).  Lee is thinking about a sewing machine (see the quilt, draped over the edge of the sewing machine).  Belle is thinking about a chew toy.

Lee and I went to Phoenix for some basketball games, but both the Marquette and the Michigan State games were cancelled.  How odd!  In lieu of the games, Lee and I had pizza at a famous pizza restaurant.  I asked Lee if it was the best pizza she ever had.  In mid-chew, she said something along the lines of a very emphatic "Uhh-uhhh."  How dainty.  Here is my pizza:
Lee and I April & Andy'ed our way to the Grand Canyon, where I built a snowman (no help from the girls).

 Here is another picture.  Look at the sheer beauty:
 Also notice the Grand Canyon in the background.  Lee is either tweeting or taking a picture, I am not sure. 

Many, many thanks to Lisa and to Grandpa and Grandma J. for allowing us to go on this trip!

A couple of weeks ago, Lee had dinner plans.  So on her way to dinner she dropped off the girls at my office and the girls and I went out to eat.  We went to the Old German Beer Hall.  We had a giant pretzel, two brats and one currywurst.  The pretzel and the currywurst were their favorites.

Claire drinking water (and doing her Rene Zellweger impersonation):
 Elsa holding -- but not drinking! -- my Russ'n:

Claire, eating 1/20th of the pretzel:
My girls at the bar:

The bar has a portrait of Mad King Ludwig.  I mentioned that he built a really fancy castle that we'd go visit someday.  I was so proud of Elsa when she said, "Is that Nooschwantsteen?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute post, and you're very welcome. I loved watching the girls for bit..and they were SO good!

Lisa

Emalee said...

Loved the whole post. The picture that was created in the basement is a treasure. Hope you find a place to hang it in the basement. The Grand Canyon looks amazing. I have never seen it in person. The girls are lucky--they have a great dad. But you're even luckier with those two beauties.

Emalee said...

Revision of previous comment: You surely have three beauties. Also, loved the link to the film "Inconvenient Truth."

Anonymous said...

So happy we could spend the time with the girls, plus give you two a chance for some time off on your own. We really loved being with them.

Love, Bob and Phyllis