Thursday, April 23, 2026

Claire turns 17!

If it’s a birthday, it’s time for an interview.  OK, I might have taken a decade off.  I'm just impressed I was able to log into this account.

In any event, for Claire’s 17th  birthday, I interviewed Elsa.  I used the same questions I’ve asked in the past.  This interview occurred by phone on April 22, 2026, since Elsa is away at college.

What is your favorite thing about Claire?

Elsa: Umm, wait, sorry, the audio went to my headphones.  Can you repeat what you said? 

Dad: What is your favorite thing about Claire?

Is this like a poem situation for her birthday?  You’re typing….  OK.  My favorite thing about Claire is that she’s really funny.

 

What does she do that is funny?

Elsa: Hahaha, oh my gosh I forgot about this!  I remember this!  Umm, she makes funny jokes.  She makes us laugh on accident and on purpose.


What do you like to do with Claire the most?

Elsa: Eat.

 

What did you like to do when you were 17?

Elsa: Ohh, umm, watch Game of Thrones.  Hahaha.

Elsa, later via text: When I was 17, I enjoyed watching Game of Thrones and torturing Claire about it in Croatia.


Why does Claire love you?

Elsa: Because I am a good older sister.

Dad: What makes you good older sister?

Elsa: I am supportive of her, umm, I love her, I help her with her yearbook troubles.


What is the most fun you’ve ever had with Claire?

Elsa: [Long pause].  Hmm, these are hard questions to answer on the fly.  I need some time to answer these.  But I had a lot of fun in Albuquerque.  And I had fun playing Pinypons back in the day.


Describe what Claire looks like.

Elsa: Umm, five five, blonde hair, blue eyes.

Dad: That’s it?

Elsa: Should there be more? Umm, good, cute outfits, very pretty.


What does Claire like to do?

Elsa: Go to Dunkin Donuts, hang out with Charlie, drive in the car for some reason, dance, watch TikTok, go shopping.

 

What does Claire like to play with you?

Elsa: Well, I heard she wants to play doubles tennis with me, Charlie and Mom.  But we don’t really play anything any more because we’ve moved on from Pinypons.  But I would like to play tennis, that sounds fun.


What is Claire’s favorite thing in the world?

Elsa: Wow….  Probably, ummm, having fun with others and just hanging out and being chill.  Hahaha.  And sour cream.


What makes Claire happy?

Elsa: Food and sour cream.  Wait--food, especially sour cream, sorry.

 

What is Claire’s favorite food?

Elsa: Hahaha. I don’t know if it’s actually sour cream, but I want to say sour cream.

Dad: I know for a fact it is sauerbraten.

Elsa: What about meatloaf?

Dad: No, sauerbraten.


How are you and Claire different?

Elsa: I would say we are very much opposites in a lot of ways.  She is very easygoing and friendly to others and she she, yeah, I would say that that’s the big thing.

Dad: So what does that make you?

Elsa: Unfriendly and not easygoing.

 

How are you and Claire the same?

Elsa: I think we share similar senses of humor, which is good – because we like to laugh together.  Wait, can I add to my “differences” answer?  I very much admire her friendliness and that is a trait she is very good at and I wish I could be more like her in that way.


What is Claire not very good at?

Elsa: Spelling.


How do you know that Claire loves you?

Elsa: Because we talk on the phone once or twice a semester and we still laugh…well this is a dumb answer.  Because we’re sisters.

Dad: Wow, what a close bond.

Elsa: Well, can you change it, I dunno, because we laugh together, we’re sisters, we’re friends.


What does Claire say to you a lot?

Elsa: Hmm.  [Long pause.]  Sorry, I’m thinking.  [Long pause.]  I like sour cream.

Dad: I wonder if your answers would have been different if we had not just had a lot of meals together on the trip to Albuquerque and Santa Fe.


What does Claire do to you except not something bad?  [Elsa formulated this question many, many years ago.]

Elsa: Hahahahahaahahahahahaha.  She critiques my fashion sense in a way that strengthens my fashion sense.


What do you want to tell Claire on her birthday?

Elsa: Happy birthday, Claire!  I can’t believe you are 17.  You’re so grown up, you’re so beautiful and smart and really fun to be around and a great sister and a great friend.  And I love you.

 

Anything else you would like to say or talk about?

Elsa: Hmm, what have I said in years past?
Dad: Well, when she was six, you said “No.”
Elsa: Oh can I add to the “similarities” question?  We both like Hamilton.  We both love Hamilton.
Dad: You both hated Hamilton for a while.  Is Lin-Manuel no longer cringe?
Elsa: He hasn’t been cringe for like five years.

 

No comments: