Saturday, August 09, 2014

Interview with Elsa on the Occasion of Claire’s 5th Birthday

If it’s a birthday, it’s time for an interview.  For Claire’s 5th birthday, I interviewed Elsa.  I generally used the same questions I’ve asked in the past.  I like seeing how the answers change over the years.  This interview occurred on April 21, the day before Claire’s birthday.  So here you can learn a bit about Claire through the words of Elsa.

What is your favorite thing about Claire?
Elsa: That she loves me. Oh, and that she’s funny.

What does she do that is funny?
Elsa: [Looks around]  Mmmm.  She says “Bababooboobeebee. And she be’s alive fruit snacks and gummi bears.” 
Daddy: What does that mean?
Elsa: Like when we play Silly Guys, she be’s them on the couch. We do performances. And sometimes gummibears crawl out on the stage when they are not supposed to.” [At this point, I have absolutely no idea what in the world she is talking about.]
Daddy: “She be’s” is not correct language.
Elsa: Oh, “she pretends to be.”

What do you like to do with Claire the most?
Elsa: Probably hug her. And play outside with her. 

What did you like to do when you were 5?
Elsa: Watch Dora, even though I hate Dora now. And I don’t remember.

Why does Claire love you?
Elsa: Because I’m her sister and she should love me. And I’m really sweet to her.

What is the most fun you’ve ever had with Claire?
Elsa: Oktoberfest, Jumping Country, umm, playing with Anna and her, and teaching her how to play chess, and teaching her how to read and write and do math.
Daddy: Oktoberfest or GermanFest?
Elsa: Oktoberfest.
Daddy: That was a really long time ago.
Elsa: But Oktoberfest is…
Daddy: Oh yeah, you’re right. [She was in fact correct. I was mixing up Oktoberfest (which is tremendous fun) with GermanFest (which is sort of fun). We have not been to GermanFest in years.]

Describe what Claire looks like.
Elsa: She has blue eyes, long blonde hair and is, and is going to, I’m writing this a few days before her birthday and I don’t know if she’s gonna have glasses by the time she reads this. And her favorite shirt is a shirt that has an owl own it and glasses and it says something like “Smart or Sweet?”

What does Claire like to do?
Elsa: Be silly, climb on me without permission. Talk about Gilderoy Lockhart and, well, I like to talk about Gilderoy Lockhart. But she does too. And she likes having me and Claire in videos. Me and her in videos, I mean.

What does Claire like to play with you?
Elsa: Ponies. Umm, “Get in our Seats.”
Daddy: What is that?
Elsa: Where we sit on the couch and we do silly things. Like, we, at the start of the game we get on our seats. We get on the armchairs, and then she does a silly thing and then it’s my turn, then it’s her turn and then it’s my turn.
Daddy: What kind of silly things?
Elsa: Like be Silly Guys and sometimes be Gummibears walking on stage.
Daddy: I have never once heard about this Silly Guys and Gummibears thing.
Elsa: Hahaha, we just invented the Alive Fruit Snacks. But the Gummibears we invented about a month ago or something.
Daddy: I still have no idea what you are talking about.

What is Claire’s favorite thing in the world?
Elsa: Her family and, umm, I don’t know. Her family.
Daddy: Is it mostly cuddling with me?
Elsa: Please.

What makes Claire happy?
Elsa: For me to say “OK” about playing. And when I hug her because usually I’m kind of annoyed about her so it’s usually a special treat.

How old is Claire?
Elsa: Five.
Daddy: Really?
Elsa: Right now, four.

What is Claire’s favorite food?
Elsa: Cheese. I mean, cheddar! Cheddar cheese. Cheddar, eddar, eddar, eddar cheese.
[Elsa is now laughing hysterically.]

How are you and Claire different?
Elsa: She has more green eyes than me. And she’s gonna wear glasses. And she has longer hair than me. And her favorite animal is a zebra. And she likes the cold; she likes cold water.
Daddy: What do you mean she likes cold water?
Elsa: In the bathroom, when Mommy turns on cold water she loves it. I mean, she likes it, not loves it.

How are you and Claire the same?
Elsa: We both like…wait. We both like to play Wii. Ahh. We both like to play with BelleBelle. And we both like to play Uno.

What is Claire not very good at?
Elsa: Basketball. Sewing. And working a computer. And reading. All she can read is “Pig” and “Piggy” and the letter C.
Daddy: I think she knows more letters than that. She knows all of them.
Elsa: She knows what the sounds are, but she can’t automatically go “Bat” or “Cat”. She can’t automatically do that. She just knows all the letter sounds and their names.
Daddy: Well, she’s pretty little.
Elsa: Haha, well, I guess, yeah.

How do you know that Claire loves you?
Elsa: Because she likes to play with me, and she hugs me. And she stays by me at places like Jumping Country.

What does Claire say to you a lot?
Elsa: Well, she says like “oooh” [high pitched voice], kind of baby language or something. And she also says, when I’m in my room, like this morning, which is Easter, because we’re probably going to be reading this on Claire’s birthday, which is the day after tomorrow and the date after tomorrow would be the day before yesterday if we’re reading this on the 22nd of April. So, do not type that in. Do not, do not. Daddy… I forgot the sentence I was going to do, because I was saying the date thing.
Daddy: She told you something in your room this morning…
Elsa: She told me, “Can I sit by you.” And I said no. So she had to cuddle with Mommy, I think. I don’t know what she did.
Elsa: She also says, “Sam macca macca macca macarona.”

What does Claire do to you except not something bad?  [Elsa formulated this question a couple of years ago.]
Elsa: Oh, I remember when I asked that. Hahaha. Climbs on me. And runs, oops, that’s not something bad. She runs to the bathroom when I am going to the bathroom and says “Are you going poop or pee?” If I say pee, she says good. And if I say poop, she says “Oh.” Actually she says “Aww.” “Well,” “Oh” and then “Aww” probably.

What do you want to tell Claire on her birthday?
Elsa: Happy birthday, and I love you.
Daddy: You love me?
Elsa: [Exasperated.] Please. I love you, Mommy and everybody in the family.

Anything else you would like to say or talk about?
Elsa: Nope. Nope nope nope.

No comments: