Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Field Trip Back To the Old Stomping Grounds

A few weeks before school ended, I went with Elsa's class on a field trip to the Audubon Center. Elsa was delighted to be back there. I warned her that the preschool teachers probably wouldn't be involved in the elementary education programs, but fortunately we did see a couple of teachers and volunteers that Elsa knew from special programs in the past—Miss Moya and another lady whose name I don't remember right now. Elsa was soooooo happy to be back in this familiar territory and seeing a couple of familiar faces. And thrilled that I was there with her, since I'd been promising her all year that I would go on one of the field trips with her class!

It was a very muddy morning at Audubon, and as a former Audubon parent I knew what that meant: Rain boots! Unfortunately, a lot of parents did not know that, and the school never sent home any information about recommended gear. So a big part of my job on this field trip was to comfort a couple of little girls who were wearing highly inappropriate shoes. Including one who had on sandals with no socks, and literally had to be hosed down in the restroom when we got back to school. : )

Elsa with Marina—her friend from several years worth of dance and tennis—and Mischi.

Elsa's best friend from this year's class is Alexandra. It's funny because Alex's birthday is also in August, but she's a full year younger than Elsa! But perhaps not coincidentally, they also happened to be the two best readers in the class. Alex also has a younger sister named Mara who's Claire's age, so we've had a few double-playdates for all four girls, which is great. (Unfortunately Alex and Mara also have an older sister who's in second grade—too bad we don't have anybody to play with her. Although, when she came over with her mom and sisters recently, she did spend some time playing with Belle!)

 Checking out the pond.

On the left is Autumn, who just moved in two courts down from us, right at the end of the school year. It's nice to have another kid Elsa's age in the neighborhood.

 It was a fun, if muddy, visit to the Audubon Center. Elsa is signed up for three camps there this summer too.




No comments: