Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother’s Day Questionnaire for 2013


Following up on last year's Mother's Day post, here is my interview with the girls this morning, before Mommy woke up.  This year, the girls seemed sort of out of it.  In any event, they sure love their Mommy.  Happy Mother's Day!

What is your favorite thing about Mommy?
Claire: To make her a card.  [We had just finished making cards for Mommy.]
Bob: But I mean, what do you love most about Mommy?
Claire: That I really love her.
Bob: OK, Claire.  What is your favorite thing about Mommy, Elsa?
Elsa: Umm, umm, umm, that she’s my Mommy.

What do you like to do with Mommy the most?
Claire: To give her lots of kisses.
Elsa: To take walks with her and give her lots of kisses and huggies.

Why does Mommy love you?
Elsa: Because I’m one of her daughters and she’s my Mommy so she has to love me.
Claire: Because she’s my, because, because, she’s my Mommy and she loves me and I’m her daughter.

What is the most fun you’ve ever had with Mommy?
Claire: Umm, umm, umm, umm.  I can’t think of anything.
Bob: You can't think of anything fun that you have done with Mommy?
Claire: No.
Bob: Elsa, what is the most fun you've ever had with Mommy?
Elsa: Going to Disney World with her.
Claire: Mine too.

Describe what Mommy looks like.
Claire: She looks like a human.
Elsa: She has blonde hair and green eyes and her favorite color is green.

What does Mommy like to do?
Claire: Umm, umm, umm, umm, umm, umm.
Bob: Claire?
Claire: I’m thinking, Daddy.  Me and Elsa.
Elsa: What does that even make sense for?  That doesn’t make sense.  She “likes to do me and Elsa”?
Claire: No, she likes us.
Elsa: No, "what does she like to do" is the question.
Claire: Play with me.
Elsa: That makes sense.  I just never knew that was what she likes to do the most.
Bob: Elsa, what does Mommy like to do?
Elsa: She sometimes likes to go to coffee with Lisa.  And she likes to sew!

What does Mommy like to play with you?
Claire: Umm, umm.  PONIES!!!
Elsa: Old Maid.

What is Mommy’s favorite thing in the world?
Claire: Us.
Elsa: The whole family.

What makes Mommy happy?
Elsa: Getting the playroom cleaned up.  And the power doesn’t go out. [The power had gone out for a few hours last week, to Lee’s great consternation.]
Claire: When we clean up.

How old is Mommy?
Claire: Umm, I don’t know.
Elsa: 38.

What is Mommy’s favorite food?
Claire: Umm, I don’t know.
Elsa: Pizza.

How are you and Mommy different?
Claire: Because I’m small and Mommy’s bigger.
Elsa: That I have blue eyes and she doesn’t.
Bob: That’s the only difference?
Elsa: No, I just like it.

How are you and Mommy the same?
Claire: Because we have blonde hair.
Elsa: Because we, we, umm, we both like green.

What is Mommy not very good at?
Claire: Running.
Elsa: Umm, umm, understanding what Claire says when she was a baby.

How do you know that Mommy loves you?
Claire: Because we love her.
Elsa: Because, because, I don’t know.
Bob: You don’t know that Mommy loves you?
Elsa: No.
Bob: [Exasperated at this stage.] HOW do you know that Mommy loves you?
Elsa: Is that the same question?
Bob: Yes.
Elsa: Because we love her.
Bob: Not that she gives you lots of hugs and kisses and says that she loves you.
Elsa: Oh, that too.

What does Mommy say to you a lot?
Claire: Umm, to cuddle.
Elsa: I love you SO much.

What does Mommy do to you except not something bad?  [Elsa formulated this question last year.]
Elsa: I remember this question!
Claire: Umm, umm, ahh, to ask me color.
Elsa: Huh? 
Bob: [Not bothering to follow up with Claire.]  Elsa, what does Mommy do to you except not something bad? 
Elsa: Umm, hugs me and kisses me.

What do you want to tell Mommy when she wakes up?
Claire: I love her.
Elsa: Can you please make breakfast?
Bob: You don’t want to say “Happy Mother’s Day”?
Elsa: Oh, Happy Mother’s Day.
Claire: Oh, Happy Mother’s Day!
Elsa: I thought it was for any other morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite posts ever. I can hear the girls talking to you Bob. I was cracking up in my office, the girl next to me asked what was so funny. My cute nieces.

Thanks Bob!
Ellen

Emalee said...

Their answers are somewhat redundant but that gives all of us a clear impression of how important the love of family is. Actually, you can see a marked difference between the thought processes of a 4 year old versus a 6 1/2 year old. Can't wait till you repeat this when they are 12 and 14.
Emalee

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the posting,MUCH.! Thanks, Bob. I certainly appreciate these interesting little insights into their "growing up" years - makes me feel close to them-even at this distance. Keep up the good work-please.
Love, GiGi