Elsa and her teacher for the last two years, Miss Liesl
Elsa has been at Audubon for three years. To put this journey in perspective, when Elsa started there, she was younger than Claire. Claire was only four months old at the time. I'm sure Elsa doesn't even remember a time when Audubon wasn't a daily (or almost-daily) part of her life.
Elsa with her new teacher this year, Miss Kristen
Elsa had some very sad moments in her last few weeks of the school year. But her teacher, Miss Liesl, reminded us, Audubon will always be here. Unlike other schools, there will always be reasons for Elsa (and the rest of the family) to come back here. We reminded Elsa that she is signed up for summer camps at Audubon, and with Claire starting preschool next year, Elsa will be able to come back for preschool events like the pancake breakfast and the ice cream social. For my own part, if we weren't starting this journey all over again with Claire in the fall, I think I would have been an absolute basket case on the last day of school!
As we were walking to the car after the last day's festivities wound down, Elsa held my hand and said to me, "Mommy, I feel a little bit sad and a little bit happy right now." I said, "Elsa, that is exactly how you should feel at a moment like this." It made me so proud of my wise-beyond-her-years girl.
Thank you, Audubon, for a wonderful three years, and for making such a nature lover out of my sweet girl. It is one very special place.


1 comment:
Last day of school is always tough, Carter had a hard time as well (and he's going back to his school next year!). I'm sure it helps that Claire will be there next year.
What a cool experience for her though, such a neat school.
Ellen
Post a Comment