Friday, July 27, 2007

Eating Adventures with Elsa

As Elsa eats more table food, I've faced a whole new challenge: Toddler meal planning. What new food can I give Elsa today, and more importantly, will she actually eat it? Unfortunately, so far, crackers and Cheerios have been the most consistent favorites, so she already seems to be showing a preference for her Daddy's diet of carbs, carbs, and more carbs. (Hopefully she'll also inherit her Daddy's tendency to not gain weight in spite of eating a diet of carbs, carbs, and more carbs.) But other favorites include cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs, chicken tenders, bananas, melon, and any type of pasta. Gerber Pasta Pick-Ups (especially the spinach and cheese ravioli) have become a standby. Here she is enjoying her ravioli:



Unfortunately, her love of vegetables when she was eating them in the pureed baby-food form does NOT seem to have extended to solids. At first she was willing to eat canned veggies such as peas and diced carrots, but now that I've introduced many much yummier things, she's not too interested in boring old vegetables anymore! Most of them end up on the floor for Belle unless I feed them to Elsa myself. (Yes, Belle is happy to eat dropped peas, carrots, and even fruit.) The good news is that Elsa generally will at least TRY whatever I give to her. The bad news is that if she chews on something for a few seconds and then decides she doesn't like it (or if she just gets sick of it), she just opens her mouth and lets all the half-chewed food roll right out. Oh well, plenty of time to work on table manners later. : )

No comments: