Wednesday, December 04, 2013
The "Weird Al" Heinrichs
I was running errands with Claire and Elsa a month or so ago, and Elsa asked for "the song with the fancy-sounding lady." After a couple of questions, I learned she was referring to St. Vincent. And, specifically, the first song on last year's David Byrne/St. Vincent collaboration Love This Giant. Once I put on the song, I learned why Elsa made the request. The girls were singing along, but they were making up lyrics about Grandma Baldwin. Perplexed, I transcribed a couple of the impromptu lyrics while at a stoplight:
"Grandma Baldwin said Claire should have been born in Boston."
"Shake your booty, Grandma Baldwin."
Neither Lee nor I know how or why this started.
In any event, I invite you to listen to the original song and sing these lyrics -- and whatever other lyrics you would like to invent. The only rule is that the lyrics must be about Grandma Baldwin.
For the record, the two other presently most-requested songs by the girls in my car are Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Elvis Costello's Pump It Up. No, there has not been any Weird Al-ing of these two songs. And yes, (1) my car only plays the music of old white guys and (2) let's hope the girls pick up the dance moves of David Byrne but not of pigeon-toed Elvis Costello.

5 comments:
"Grandma Baldwin begins to tell us her life story, all around the table everyone is staring."
I love this game.
Ellen
I am quite excited and will demand a full performance of this song by the girls at our Christmas gathering. It will be my Christmas present. Ellen, you won't get out of this either; you're part of the singing ensemble.
I am quite excited and will demand a full performance of this song by the girls at our Christmas gathering. It will be my Christmas present. Ellen, you won't get out of this either; you're part of the singing ensemble.
Love this!
Lisa
I need to hear this story also----
someone needs to swear to the veracity of this STORY-----please forward same --IF you have space and enough TIME to do so.
Grandma-Mom-GiGi
Post a Comment