Monday, November 03, 2008

Yes We Can

Dear Elsa,

Tomorrow is an important day—possibly the most historic day of your young life so far. It's Election Day. Regardless of who wins, your country is at a turning point. Either way, a race/gender barrier in American politics will be broken down. And either way, things will be decided in the next four years that could have a profound impact on your life and the world you live in for years to come.

Mommy, Daddy, and many other friends and family members have been doing our small part to ensure that those decisions will have (at least in our opinions) a positive effect for you and the rest of your generation. I will be spending the morning of Election Day in downtown Milwaukee, primarily on the East Side near UWM, volunteering for the Obama campaign's "Get Out the Vote" effort. (You'll be at Grandma Heinrich's while I'm gone.) After that, you and I will probably spend the rest of the day glued to CNN. Meanwhile, Daddy is taking time off from work to spend the entire day (7 a.m. to 9 p.m.) as an Obama poll watcher at a voting precinct on Milwaukee's west side. He'll be helping to ensure that no voter is intimidated, misled, or otherwise kept from exercising their right to vote. That's an important job, so you should be very proud of your Daddy today. And Grandma B. and Grandpa P. have put in many volunteer hours for Barack down in Florida, one of the states where help is needed most.

As for you, you've been at least as politically aware this election season as many adult Americans. You can readily identify Barack Obama and John McCain ("John Misscain" as you call him—I swear we didn't teach you that!) when you see them on TV. You even recognize and point out Obama yard signs when we're driving in the car. Interestingly, lately if you see Obama on TV, you ask where John McCain is and insist that he should be there too. I've tried to explain to you that this is an election, so all the adults in the country have to choose either Obama or McCain and cast their votes. Only one of the two candidates can win and go on to be the President. But I guess you don't really understand that part of it yet.

That's okay, there'll be plenty of time for that concept later.

Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama's great win feels much more like we're moving in the direction we want to see for our grandchildren!

Good work on the election you two,
Dad and Phyllis

Anonymous said...

I love Elsa's T-shirt, Lee. So glad you're saving it for her. I like it that your sentimentality centers around politics. Yeah for the blue states-- WI, MI and FL and lots of others.

Love, Grandma B.